|Document Title||Russia's Strategic Interests and Intentions in the Far East. Report|
|Document Date||5 October 1946|
|Themes||Foreign Policy and International Relations, Military Intelligence and Operations|
|Regions||East Asia, Europe, Middle East, North America, Pacific|
|Countries||Azerbaijan, Burma, China, Germany, Indochina, Japan, Korea, Malaya, Mongolia, Persia, Philippines, Russia, Siam, Soviet Union, United States of America, Vietnam|
|Document Type||Reports, Maps|
|Organisations||Chiefs of Staff, Joint Intelligence Sub-Committee|
|People||Thomas Elmhirst, William Hayter, Edward Parry, Gerald Templer|
predicting enemy intentions, assessing enemy strength, Soviet foreign policy, strategy, foreign policy, industry, industrial intelligence, colonies, empire, geographic intelligence, threat of war with the USSR, defence, contingency planning, propaganda, political warfare, Soviet-Chinese relations, Chinese Civil War, Soviet satellite states, former colonies, communism, Japanese government, subversion, zones of occupation, colonial independence movements, partition, diplomatic disputes, diplomacy, diplomatic intelligence
1. Threat to Hong Kong; 2. Russian Assistance to the Chinese Communists; 3. Yugoslavia - Arms Requirements; 4. Implications of Certain Aspects of United States Strategy; 5. Intelligence on Biological Warfare in the Soviet Union; 6. Exchange of Information with the Americans on Arms Traffic; 7. Information on Soviet Forces for Use by Diplomatic Representatives Abroad; 8. Visit of Czech Military Attache
1. Mr. D.P. Reilly; 2. Meetings of the J.I.C. Over the Easter Holiday Period; 3. Planning after the Opening Phase of a General War; 4. Visit of Dr. Sherman Kent, Office of National Estimates, to the J.I.C.; 5. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter and other Sensitive Area; 6. Discussion with Dr. Sherman Kent, O.N.E. 7. Organisation within Saceur's Command for Progressing Enemy Documents in time of War; 8. J.T.I.C. - Terms of Reference
1. Present State of Tension between India and Pakistan; 2. Situation on the Sino-Burmese Frontier; 3. Intelligence for S.H.A.P.E.; 4. Military and Economic Strength of the Soviet Union; 5. Chinese Communist Intentions in the Light of their Experiences during the First Ear of War in Korea; 6. Soviet Research and Development; 7. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter; 8. J.I.C. Weekly Intelligence Review (Europe) for S.H.A.P.E.
1. Soviet Intentions and Capabilities; 2. Monthly Meeting with the Joint Intelligence Staff; 3. Formosa - Chinese Communist Intentions and Capabilities; 4. Periodical Reports on the Threat to Hong- Kong; 5. Russian Preparedness for War; 6. Possibility of Russian Armed Action Against Yugoslavia; 7. Scientific and Technical Intelligence.
1. Planning Assumptions for the Later Stages of a General War; 2. Possible Consequences of an Outbreak of Hostilities with Egypt; 3. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter and other Sensitive Areas; 4. Warning of Attack; 5. Future of the British Intelligence Organisation, Germany
1. Arrival of MIG-15 Aircraft in Yugoslavia; 2. Technical Intelligence; 3. Leakages to the Press; 4. Planning Assumptions for the Later Stages of a General War; 5. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter and other Sensitive Areas; 6. Future of the British Intelligence Organisation, Germany
1. Technical Aspects of Soviet Air Defence; 2. Russian Research and Development; 3. Joint Intelligence Map Room; 4. Russian Theory of War; 5. The Egyptian Situation; 6. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter and other Sensitive Areas - Preparation; 7. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter and other Sensitive Areas; 8. Soviet Intentions in Germany; 9. Soviet Intentions in the Far East in the Event of General War - 1953-56; 10. Soviet Strategic Intentions.
1. Intelligence Brief for U.K. Delegation to the Five Power Military Committee; 2. Political Activities in South East Asia with Special Reference to Communism; 3. Soviet Interests and Intentions; 4. Policy and Procedure for Handling Defectors; 5. Activities of the Soviet Trade Delegation in the United Kingdom; 6. Estimated Russian Threat to Pakistan - 1949-57; 7. New Constitution for Western Germany; 8. Implications of the Civil War in China and Burma; 9. Priorities of Tasks for the Collection of Intelligence Information in Germany; 10. Chairman, J.S.I.C.