|Document Title||Defence of the Balkans. Note by Secretary|
|Document Date||19 May 1943|
|Conflicts||Second World War|
|Themes||Military Intelligence and Operations|
|Regions||Europe, Mediterranean, Middle East|
|Countries||Crete, Germany, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Yugoslavia|
|Organisations||Chiefs of Staff, Joint Intelligence Sub-Committee, Joint Intelligence Staff|
defence, Nazi-occupied Europe, military dispositions, German army, coastal defence, invasion preparations, invasion threat, collapse of Fascist Italy, Italian army, assessing enemy strength, military operations, intelligence requirements, Joint Intelligence Sub-Committee duties
Italy. Collapse In: Policy in Event Of: Note by Secy. Covering J.P.(40)715(S) in which Joint Planning Staff Invite the Joint Intelligence Sub-Committee to Give Their Views as Regards Certain Specific Questions and Preliminary Draft Prepared by Joint Planning Staff to Serve as a First Report to C.O.S.
1. Exchange of Information with Yugoslavia; 2. Intelligence for S.H.A.P.E.; 3. Military Implications of the Entry of British Forces into Persian Territory; 4. Invasion of Te United Kingdom, 1951-1952; 5. Liaison Between United States and United Kingdom Intelligence Organisations; 6. Study by the E.M.M.O. Regional Planning Group of the Association of Turkey and Greece with N.A.T.O. Military Planning; 7. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter; 8. Information on Formosa; 9. Acquisition of Merchant Shipping by Soviet and Satellite Countries; 10. J.I.C. Weekly Intelligence Review (Europe) for S.H.A.P.E.
1. Return of German Scientist from Russia; 2. Request by S.G.I.C. For Assessment of the Extent to Which the Threat to the N.A.T. Countries in 1956 Might Differ from That Hitherto Estimated for 1953; 3. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter and Other Sensitive Areas; 4. Justification of J.I.C. Assessments; 5. Campaign Studies Consequent on the Completion of the Report on General Soviet Strategy
1. J.I.C. Weekly Intelligence Review (Europe) for S.H.A.P.E.; 2. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter; 3. Chiefs of Staff Meeting with Lord Tedder; 4. Atomic Energy and Guided Weapons Programmes-Downgrading of Top Secret Documents; 5. Visit of D.N.I. to Rome; 6. Review of the State of Our Intelligence and Measures Recommended to Improve It; 7. Port Energency Planning; 8. Exchange of Intelligence with India and Pakistan; 9. Tripartite Military Staff Talks on the Defence of South-East Asia; 10. Requests by Yugoslavia for Special Equipment; 11. Short Term Effects of Air Attack Against Supply Bases and Communications in Manchuria
1. Invasion of the United Kingdom; 2. Scale and Nature of Air Attack on the United Kingdom 1951-1954; 3. Chinese Communist Intentions in the Light of Operations in Korea; 4. Review of the Situation round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter; 5. J.I.C. Weekly Intelligence Review (Europe) for S.H.A.P.E.; 6.; 7. Intelligence for S.H.A.P.E.
1. Communist Threat in South-East Asia and the Far East; 2. Statement by Sir Percy Sillitoe; 3. Review of Work in Hand; 4. Monthly Meeting with the Joint Intelligence Staff; 5. Soviet Production of Atomic Weapons; 6. Threat to Yugoslavia; 7. Basic Intelligence for Western Europe Commanders-in-Chief Committee and Regional Planning Groups; 8. Effect on the Countries of Western Europe of a Protracted Period of Soviet Occupation; 9. Russian Preparedness for War; 10. Meeting with Chairman, Canadian J.I.C; 11. Joint Intelligence Bureau, Ceylon; 12. Evacuation of German Scientists in an Emergency; 13. Proposal That Soviet Tankers Should Call at Kuweit
1. Chinese Nationalist Intentions; 2. Visit of the United States Director of Naval Intelligence to the United Kingdom; 3.; 4. Article on Intelligence in the 'Sunday Express' of 3rd June, 1951; 5. Meeting with Mr. Creswell; 6. Soviet Intentions and Capabilities; 7. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter; 8. J.I.C. Weekly Intelligence Review (Europe) for S.H.A.P.E.
1. Possible Extension of the War in the Far East; 2.; 3.; 4. Intelligence for N.A.T.O.; 5. Preparation of a Report for the North Atlantic Council; 6.; 7. Review of the Situation Round the Soviet and Satellite Perimeter and other Sensitive Areas; 8. Joint Intelligence Committee Weekly Intelligenc Review (Europe) for S.H.A.P.E.