|Document Title||1. Threat to Hong Kong; 2. Indications of Russian Preparations for War; 3. Beach Reconnaissances - Middle East; 4.|
|Document Date||5 October 1949|
|Themes||Military Intelligence and Operations, Intelligence Gathering and Surveillance|
|Regions||East Asia, Europe, Middle East, North America|
|Countries||China, Germany, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States of America|
|Document Type||Meeting Minutes|
|Organisations||Chiefs of Staff, Foreign Office, Joint Intelligence Bureau, Joint Intelligence Committee (Germany), Joint Intelligence Committee (Middle East), Ministry of Defence, Security Service, Joint Intelligence Sub-Committee|
|People||Valentine Boucher, John Gardiner, William Hayter, Stewart Menzies, Percy Sillitoe, Kenneth Strong|
|Notes||Sections of this document have been retained under Section 3(4) of the Public Records Act, 1958.|
Hong Kong, Chinese Civil War, military intelligence, predicting enemy intentions, contingency planning, defence, imperial defence, empire, colonies, invasion threat, intelligence reports, intelligence requirements, mobilisation, war preparations, assessing enemy strength, military strength, threat of war with the USSR, beach reconnaissance, aerial reconnaissance, photographic reconnaissance, mapping, geographic intelligence, topographical intelligence, intelligence gathering
1. Threat to Hong Kong; 2. Priorities for the Collection of Intelligence in the Far East; 3. The Possibility of the Survival of the Chinese Nationalists as a Factor in Far East Affairs; 4. Assault on Formosa - Intentions an Capabilities of the Chinese Communists; 5. Possible Scale and Nature of Raids on the United Kingdom in a War in 1949/50; 6. Beach Reconnaissances - Middle East; 7. Policy and Procedure for Handling Defectors.
1. Situation in South China; 2. Russian Action against Greece in the Event of Major War; 3. Indications of Russian Preparations for War; 4. Air Photography - India and Pakistan; 5. Policy and Procedure for Handling Political Refugees of Intelligence Value; 6. Encourage of Deserters; 7. Policy and Procedure for Handling Defectors; 8. Beach Reconnaissance - Middle East
1. Threat to Hong Kong; 2. Photographic Intelligence Requirements in Turkey; 3. Effects of Soviet Occupation on Western Europe in the Event of War after 1956; 4. Measures to Improve the State of Intelligence Available on Russian Intentions and Preparedness for War; 5. Visit of Czech Trade Delegation to Kuweit.
1. Threat to Hong Kong; 2. Russian Assistance to the Chinese Communists; 3. Yugoslavia - Arms Requirements; 4. Implications of Certain Aspects of United States Strategy; 5. Intelligence on Biological Warfare in the Soviet Union; 6. Exchange of Information with the Americans on Arms Traffic; 7. Information on Soviet Forces for Use by Diplomatic Representatives Abroad; 8. Visit of Czech Military Attache
1. Signatures on Reports by the Committee; 2. Release of Information on Soviet Aircraft Developments to Western Union; 3. Tass Monitoring Station in the United Kingdom; 4. German Civil Photographic Reconnaissance Agencies; 5. Military and Air Attache, China; 6. Intelligence Liaison with the Americans in the Far East; 7. Situation Reports on Korea; 8. Soviet Manoeuvres in the Black Sea; 9. Soviet Intentions and Capabilities - Long Term Appreciation; 10. Soviet Preparedness for War; 11.; 12. Visit to the United States and Canada by the Director of Military Intelligence; 13. Factual Paper on Korea
1. The Chinese Communist Threat in the Far East and South-East Asia; 2. Threat to Indo-China; 3. Communist Influence in the African Continent (Excluding Egypt); 4. Soviet Long Term Preparations for War - Review of Major Developments During the Year Ending 31st December 1949; 5. Periodic Intelligence Summaries for the Western Europe Commanders-in-Chief Committee; 6. Basic Intelligence Appreciations for the United Kingdom Delegations to the Brussels Treaty Military Committee and to N.A.T.O. Regional Planning Groups; 7. Exchange of Information with the Americans on Arms Traffic; 8. Communist Influence in the Middle East
1. Threat to Hong Kong; 2. Formosa - Chinese Communist Intentions and Capabilities; 3. Intelligence Appreciation for Northern European Region - Military Threat to Scandinavia - 1950; 4. Measures to Improve the State of Intelligence Available on Russian Intentions and Preparedness for War; 5. Military and Air Attache, China.
1. A Certain Report on Soviet General Strategy; 2. Monthly Meeting with the Joint Intelligence Staff; 3. Clandestine Sabotage; 4. Russian Interests, Intentions and Capabilities; 5. Soviet Intentions and Capabilities; 6. Russian Preparedness for War; 7. Possibility of Russian Armed Action against Yugoslavia; 8. Threat to Hong Kong; 9. Joint Intelligence Committee Reports